As digital world is growing, various type of threats also getting more prevalent. Content theft is also one of the major concerns of people who own websites, applications and other public digital identity. People often don’t know that their content has been stolen but this is important because it can affect your online presence and business too. You would have struggled hours to create perfect content or you might have hired somebody to do favor for content. A spammer comes and in few minutes your content gets copied without any notification to you.
You need to be aware regarding this thing only then you can combat with this threat. This is really very tedious because anyone can be publisher or webmaster not police who looks for content thieves. It is also quite strange that many people still don’t know, how exactly they can take identify that content has been stolen? Here we are going to explain ways using which you can check plagiarism:
1. CopyScape: Probably this is the best tool you can use for content citation checking. Earlier this tool was paid but nowadays they have made it partially free. You can simply paste your web address and it will tell you where else your content is appearing. If you want to use some additional features then you will have to pay. If you don’t want use copyscape for some reason then you can use copyscape alternative also.
2. Referral traffic: You should look into your Analytics account from where traffic is coming. Go to that page and check if they have copied your content. It has been seen that many new comer classified, directories, web 2 etc automatically add other websites to their website without any notification. They do so because they want to start their website’s business but because of their act, your content often gets stolen. You can get out from there by requesting them.
3. Pingback system: this is an alert system available with some content management system where you get notified whenever any other page points on your website.
4. Use Google alerts, Topsy etc: there should be proper system of alerts. You can switch on some of the alerts whenever your website gets mentioned anywhere then these alert systems send mail to you. Nowadays spammers are also very influential in the marketing system as they can spam any website to take some advantage for their own website. Often wrong link building, content theft etc happens so that their rank on Google and brand can be tempered. Use multiple tools for tracking because accuracy of these tools is always not perfect.
5. Manual check: as per our experience, this is the best way to monitor things regarding content theft. Copy few sentences from your content and paste it in the Google search box, Click enter and all those pages which have copied your data will come before you. If nobody has copied your data then only your website will come over there. Google caching system is very perfect and fast, if anybody copies your text then within few days, it is going to show in search results.
What to do, if your content has been stolen?
When it comes to cyber crime or cyber theft then laws are not very strict globally. Spammers often take advantage because of poor laws against such crimes. Things to do, if you find your content on other web pages:
- Take screenshots: this is going to be the evidence in the process. If anybody wants to change content of website then it takes few minutes only. You must take high quality screenshot because this is really going to be an evidence
- Contact offender’s: with proper proof, email or call webmaster who has stolen content. In every country, there is some law against this type of people so you have edge. Go ahead, communicate properly and tell them possible threats of their offence. You can try who.is if you are not able to find contact detail about offender. If they still continue then you can go for local compliant against offender.
- Report to search engines and hosting company: you should complain directly to search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing etc) as well as hosting company. Search engines may take manual action against all such websites who are involved in spamming or content thefts. On the other side. Legal action is also possible against the hosting company because website is running on their server.
Take these actions in advance so that content theft can be stopped:
1. Copyright notice: in your website, write it somewhere that you are the sole owner of data in your website. Any offender will be punished. If DMCA reports any citation then Google removes that web page from their search result so you can understand this copyright thing is really powerful. While surfing on Google search engine, you would have seen some notices by DMCA in which they write that some web pages have been taken off from search results because they were violating policy.
2. Guidelines for users: it has been seen that sometimes, users find your website nice and they want to share it with somebody. In this case, content must not be shared; it should be link that should be shared with people.
3. Google authorship: this is also a perfect tool through which you will become authorized owner of content on your website.
4. Logo should be used for graphics: if you have videos, images etc then you must put logo over there; otherwise anyone can download and re-upload after editing. Logo makes sure that your identity remains over there.
5.Use scripts: you can use Java Script in your page to disable right click, Crtl+C and other commands. This is very important and most of the high threat websites already have disabled right click. These codes are easily available on internet, copy and put it in the proper place of coding so that people can’t copy text.
One thing is quite clear that you need to be aware and alert only then you can stop spammers. If any website gets successful then other trailing websites start copying. Content theft is quite common nowadays as World Wide Web is expanding. Be alert and stop all spammers before you get affected.